Azim Premji University was established in Karnataka by the Azim Premji University Act 2010 as a not-for-profit University. The University was founded as one of the key responses to the constraints and challenges that the Foundation encountered both within and in the environment, and as part of a larger strategy to contribute to the Education and Development sectors in the country.
The University has an explicit social purpose. As an institution, it exists to make significant contributions to education in a manner consistent with social justice, equity, humane values and sustainability within the framework of a secular and democratic Indian polity. The University is part of the Foundation and integral to its vision of ‘Education for Social Change: To contribute to the realisation of a just, equitable, humane and sustainable society’.
The University started by offering two postgraduate programme M.A. Education and M.A. Development in 2011.
In the past 4 years – since the first batch graduated in 2013, more than 700 students have graduated. Most of these alumni are pursuing careers in the social sector. For an institution like ours with a clear social purpose, the creation of an Alumni association will help build a vibrant community who will actively support the University’s journey in various possible ways. The strong ties between alumni and their alma mater are all the more relevant and vital given the University’s vision to contribute to social change.
To establish an alumni network and to ensure sustained interest, it is important to:
- Harness the enthusiasm and willingness of several individuals who are willing to take on the organizational initiative and sustain it.
- Capture the interest of a reasonable nucleus of alumni and current students to participate in the association’s activities.
Keeping in mind the vision of the University, and the preparation of students committed to a career in the social sector, it is important that the alumni stay connected at a deeper level to each other and to the current batches. Given the nature of the relationship we would like to establish, it seems appropriate to get this together in an organic and student led manner.
The Alumni Association aims to increase the connection alumni have with the University and provide opportunities to allow alumni to strengthen their bond with each other and with the University. We therefore encourage you to take full advantage of the events and platforms that the Alumni Association sponsors and supports. Some of these are listed here:
- Alumni Database : We maintain a database of all students. We request you to share/update your contact details, information on your location and some details of the work you are currently engaged with. These details are used for us to plan Alumni meets, build peer group connections and reach out when we have programmes at your location. This also helps us to connect you with faculty and current students who you can support. Please update your details here using the google form.
- Alumni Website : This is the main platform where you can share and communicate with the alumni community. The website has sections for articles/reflections by Alumni, job opportunities, and updates on events and workshops. The website is run and maintained by the Alumni Office.
- Facebook group : We encourage alumni to join the Azim Premji University Alumni group. This is a great informal platform for you to keep in touch with old classmates, and share news. This is run and managed by alumni.
- LinkedIn group : We encourage alumni to join the Azim Premji University Alumni group. This is a great professional platform for you to learn about upcoming events, post updates/articles, etc. This is run and managed by alumni.
- WhatsApp groups: Some cities have a WhatsApp group run and managed by alumni. To know if your location has one please check this list. To join the group email the anchor from your university id with your batch and phone number. You will be added after the volunteers have checked your credentials.
- Conversations with Alumni. The Alumni Office regularly organises meets in cities. You will hear from us regarding these and they are wonderful opportunities to meet alumni and professors.
- Course and Library access. You can still access current courses and the wonderful library. Details to go about it are here.
For any queries or feedback, please write to: email@example.com