About Dream a Dream
Started in 1999, Dream a Dream is a registered, charitable trust empowering young people from vulnerable backgrounds to overcome adversity and flourish in a fast-changing world using a creative Life skills approach. Currently, Dream a Dream runs an Innovation Lab engaging 10,000 young people every year referred from 40 partners, has transformed over 2000 educators from 38 schools impacting over 50,000 young people and engaged over 2500 volunteers.
Dream a Dream is considered to be a pioneer in the Life Skills space in India. The Dream Life Skills Assessment Scale developed in-house is today a published, standardized scale that can be used by any NGO/School to assess improvement in life skills. More recently, Dream a Dream has been recognized by Lego Foundation and Ashoka as a Champion (out of 630 global organizations) in the space of Re Imagining Learning in the world.
Role: Research Manager
Position Type: Full time
Reporting Manager: Director – Research and Advocacy
Salary Range Per Annum: INR 6,60,000 – INR 7,32,000 (INR 55,000 – 61,000 per month)
The primary responsibility of this role is plan, design, conduct, manage and report high-quality research projects. The purpose of which is to build an evidence base for Life Skills that supports Dream a Dream’s 2016-21 strategic intent to ‘Build a movement to equip millions of young people from vulnerable backgrounds with Life Skills to overcome adversity and flourish in the 21st century’.
Reporting to Director – Research and Advocacy, the function supports the research and advocacy strategy designed to select, commission and interpret research [both academic and informal] to support the hypotheses that developing life skills enables young people from vulnerable backgrounds to overcome adversity and flourish in a fast changing world. The domain areas for research would include child development, youth development, education, teacher development and Life Skills.
As the Research Manager you’ll need to:
1. Discuss with the leadership team/ program leads to understand the nature of the research to be carried out
2. Articulate hypotheses of the research to be undertaken
3. Design research studies that meet the rigour of academic standards
4. Use appropriate and creative methodologies to test hypotheses. This may involve the use of quantitative and/or qualitative methods and may include both pilot and development work
5. Design questionnaires
6. Apply a range of research techniques to gather relevant information, including document analysis, surveys, case studies and interviews
7. Gather information directly or liaise with and direct field interviewers to gather information
8. Develop electronic databases to gather and analyse data
9. Analyse and evaluate research and interpret data, making sure that key issues are identified
10. Produce research-based briefings, advice and action plans
11. Prepare, present and disseminate results in academic journals
12. Prepare and present tenders for new research projects
13. Provide evidence of the impact of Dream a Dream’s work on young people by analyzing programmatic data and interpreting results for the impact evaluation studies
1. Experience in quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies and research techniques
2. Numeracy and confidence in using statistical techniques and software such as SPSS, R, Survey Monkey, etc.
3. Logical thinking supported by strong analytical skills
4. Excellent interpersonal, team working and communication skills
5. Report-writing skills
6. Project management skills
7. Accuracy and attention to detail
8. A flexible approach to be able to work on several different research projects at the same time
9. Organisation skills, including time management and the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
1. Develop linkages with national and international research agencies/ experts/ universities
2. Contribute to achievement of strategic goals set by the organization
3. Participate in strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting process for the organization
4. Work with Director Research and Advocacy/ Fund Raising on major funder proposals and reports for research and advocacy efforts
5. Respond in a timely manner to information requests from program teams, finance teams, donors or member fundraising teams.
6. Maintain clear communication channels with stakeholders both internally and externally
7. Delivery of accurate and timely reporting
8. Being a small team, you would also be required to multi-task between roles, as and when required by the organization for the furtherance of its goals
Post Graduate/Doctoral Degree In social science/ psychology / education/ statistics or related discipline
Minimum Experience: 2 to 3 years in social research/ market research or related field
People Skills: You will have to be curious about human behaviour. Must have demonstrated people skills and excellent relationship skills – collaboration, cooperation, conflict resolution, understanding others, positive attitude and friendly demeanor. Must have, or be willing to develop, strong positive relationships with local community leaders, academicians, friends of the organization and associates.
Language Skills: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English, including excellent listening skills. Demonstrated ability to synthesize a broad
range of ideas into cogent communications. Excellent writing, analysis and presentation
Administrative Skills: Extreme attention to detail, ability to manage multiple project
simultaneously, excellent working knowledge of database software and management,
strong math and analytical skills, ability to create written documents with little or no
Software Proficiency: Advanced knowledge and use of statistical tools, Microsoft Excel, Word with PowerPoint preferred. Internet and email savvy. Must be technology oriented.
Please apply by sending your resume to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org