What we do? (www.varthana.com)
Varthana is the brand name of Thirumeni Finance Private Limited, an exciting Bangalore based non-banking finance company (NBFC) focused on the education sector.
The company provides loans and support to private schools serving the low income population to improve the school quality, infrastructure and learning outcomes. With 200 million school-going students, India has one of the largest education markets. With 40% of enrolled children preferring private schools over government schools, and only 25% of schools being private schools, there is a growing gap that needs to be addressed. Access to capital is one of the most important requirements of school owners for address in this gap.
Money is needed to build additional classrooms, purchase benches, computers, to set up labs and library, etc. Unfortunately, most private schools find it very difficult to raise money from formal sources. Varthana aims to fill this gap. Varthana’s vision is to transform the affordable education landscape in India. To achieve this, Varthana will need to help provide more than basic financing to schools. We have also initiated a “Beyond Loans” effort through which we help connect schools with solution providers who have innovative and cost effective solutions that address schools’ major needs. As a part of the Beyond Loans initiative, Varthana has initiated a program called the School Transformation Program (STP) in order to better understand which interventions and approaches lead to the most dramatic improvements in school quality, and to design a strategy to deliver those interventions at scale. The program aims to comprehensively assess schools over time and link improvements in learning outcomes to tangible financial benefits for the school. The success of this program can have wide implications for all stakeholders I the education sector including the government, schools, teachers, students and parents.
After a successful pilot with 6 schools in 2014 (Bangalore), over 30 schools in 2015 (Bangalore, Pune and Nagpur) and over 160 schools in 2016 (Bangalore, Pune, Nagpur, Chennai and Bhubaneswar), Varthana has by far impacted over 320 schools in 2017 through its School Transformation Program.
What does an Education Specialist – School Transformation Program do?
- Enroll Varthana loan client schools in the School Transformation Program
- Work with our Assessment Partner to conduct a baseline assessment in schools
- Review assessment results with the school leadership and work together on a path to excellence – build a vision and plan to ensure demonstrable improvements in quality of the school over the next 1-2 years
- Engage with schools throughout the year and provide ongoing support to the school leader through direct intervention (training, planning, etc.) or by connecting the school with solution providers that address the needs
- Conduct or facilitate events, workshops or training sessions for teachers, school leaders and students
- Identify and form partnerships with innovative Education Solution Providers, connect them to schools and monitor their impact
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with both schools and education partners.
- Over and above the mentioned responsibilities, the specialists are required to be efficient at documentations.
As an Education Specialist, you will handle a variety of responsibilities.
Here is a breakdown of the time allocation by activity for the Education Specialists:
Who we are looking for?
- We are looking for individuals who can add value to our understanding of India’s educational landscape.
- As a Varthana Education Specialist, you will be responsible for a variety of tasks that will drive and inform to be success and have greater impact; being organised and well-planned is crucial.
- The role requires interacting with a variety of individuals including fellows, school leaders, teachers, the greater beyond loans team, and solution providers.
- We require someone with very strong interpersonal and communication skills, and enjoys interacting with people.
- Travelling across locations to meet stake holders is critical.
- Being a young program, there are many challenges with STP, and much room for design and innovation, and we are looking for open-minded individuals who are driven and take initiative.
This is a full time on roll position, we have vacancy in Bengaluru. Having a two wheeler
Please reach at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information