Papers are invited for the second annual session of the Kerala History Congress to be held on 20, 21 & 22 December 2016 at Union Christian College, Aluva, and organised by its Department of History.
The papers may be be presented either in English or in Malayalam. The research papers not exceeding 12 pages, typed in MS Word with double space should be mailed to <email@example.com> or <firstname.lastname@example.org> on or before 10 December 2016.
THEMES FOR PRESENTATION
The research papers should be based on original research providing new data and interpretation on any area relating to the social, political, cultural, economic, intellectual, oral history and historiography of Kerala. We are also open to presentations from other areas which we believe will qualitatively enrich studies
on Kerala history.
Some of the themes identified are as follows.
- Social History: Social formation of Kerala – Reform Movements – New Social Movements – Gender History – Histories of the Marginalized
- Political History: Left- and Right-wing Politics – Political Movements of the Marginalized – Politics and the Interplay of Communal Organizations – Political Leadership – Coalition Politics in Kerala
- Cultural History: Cultural formation of Kerala – Popular Media and Popular Culture – Culture of the daily life and Writing Ordinary lives – Visual History (History of Images and through Images) – Photographs, Portraits etc. – The Sacred and the Supernatural – Cultural Transitions.
- Economic History: Revisiting Kerala Model Development – Kerala and the World Economic Order – Trade /Commerce – Industrial Development – Environmental History
- Intellectual History: Malayalam Printing and Publishing – Malayalam Literary and Artistic Movements – Rationalist Movements – Popular Science Movements.
- Historiography of Kerala: Reconstructing the Past: Problems and Perspectives – Malayalam Literature and Kerala History.
- Oral Histories / Local Histories
- Inter Sectional History (New session)
OTHER KEY INFORMATION
General President: Prof K.N. Panikkar
Keynote Address: Prof. Shahid Amin
Social History: Dr. Sanal Mohan (School of Social Science, MG University)
Political History: Prof. S Ramachandran Nair (Former Professor SS University, Kalady)
Cultural History: Prof. Meera Velayudhan (Delhi University)
Intellectual History: Prof. G. Arunima (JNU)
Economic History: Prof. Pius Malekandathil (JNU)
Inter Sectional History: Prof. J. Devika (Centre for Development Studies)
Oral Histories / Local Histories: Prof. C. Balan (Former Professor, University of Kannur)
Chavarayachan: Prof. Anil Sadgopal (Former Dean of Education, Delhi University)
Sahodaran Ayyappan: Prof. Anand Teltumbde
Akkamma Cheriyan: Prof. V. Geetha (Madras Institute of Development Studies)
Erudite Scholar Lectures
Prof. Rajan Gurukkal; Prof. Radhika Sinha (JNU); Prof. Ravi Vasudevan (CSDS); Prof. Kesavan Veluthat; Prof. K.N. Ganesh; Prof. R. Mahalekshmi (Centre for Historical Studies. JNU); Prof. Rakesh Batabyal (Professor, JNU)
There are prizes for the best papers submitted at the Kerala History Congress session. The best paper presented by the Young Scholars who are not above the age of 35 years would be awarded Elamkulam Kunjanpillai young historian prize of Rs. 10,000 with certification. The best paper presented by Undergraduate and Postgraduate students would be awarded Junior Scholar prize of Rs. 5,000 with certification.
Only the members and associate members can participate in the proceedings of the Congress. Any enquiry related to Membership may be made to Prof. A. Balakrishnan (Mob: 9446556641).
The delegate fee of Rs. 1000/- (for Faculty Members) Rs. 750/- (for Research Scholars and students) should be sent by Bank Draft/Cheque in favour of ‘Kerala History Congress’ payable at Bank of India (IFSC Code:BKID0008566), UC College Branch, Aluva, to the Local Secretary, Kerala History Congress, Department of History, Union Christian College, Aluva – 2. The last date for the receipt of delegate fee is December 10, 2016.Accommodation facility is confirmed only for those making the remittance within that day.
All delegates would be provided hospitality and concomitant assistance on the days of the annual session at Aluva.
Chief Facilitator : Prof. Suja K Sam, Associate Professor; Associate Facilitators : Ms. Juby John, Assistant Professor – Ms. Tresa Divya T.J, Assistant Professor
– Dr. Twincy Varghese, Assistant Professor.
For any help and assistance relating to registration, accommodation and travel you may please contact the following Assistant Facilitators:
- Registration: Radhika Lal (Mob: 9400767285), Rahul R (Mob: 9446385572)
- Accommodation: Tibin Joseph (Mob: 9400194261)
- Transportation: Abhishek K.R. (Mob: 9567951510)
Dr Sebastian Joseph
(Local Secretary, 2nd Session, Kerala History Congress)
Head, PG Dept & Research Centre in History, Union Christian College, Aluva, Kerala, 683102
Phone: 91 9447355190