Locations: Districts Gumla, Kodarma, Hazaribagh, Jharkhand
This is a 2-year contractual position with PRADAN.
Professional Assistance for Development Action (PRADAN) is a public service organization registered under Society Act XXI of 1860. PRADAN has been working towards improving livelihoods across seven of the poorest states in the country, through formation and promotion of Self Help Groups (SHGs) since 1987. Presently, PRADAN has been exploring how to leverage the Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs) towards sustainable change and development.
Anode Governance Lab is a Bangalore based organisation engaged in developing solutions for improved governance in institutions, applying management and organisation development principles. The team at Anode has been working with rural local governments (Gram Panchayats) over the last few years, understanding systemic challenges and arriving at possible responses towards strengthening last mile service delivery and governance.
A Governance team comprising PRADAN and Anode professionals are jointly initiating a two year pilot program to work closely with 25 Gram Panchayats (covering approximate population of 4 Lakh) in the states of Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand, to map existing capacities, and launching activities and programs for improved institutional performance and enhanced capacities of elected members and office bearers. The team will also work closely with other partners towards building foundations of civic literacy among citizens to enable them to work in tandem with the local government for overall socio-economic development of their constituency.
The team will be responsible for conceptualising and delivering the Governance strengthening project, developing and implementing interactive tools developed on foundations of knowledge of systemic challenges and enablers. This requires extensive research as well as working with multiple stakeholders such as elected members and office bearers at Gram, Block and District Panchayats, SHG collectives and other civil society organisations. Strategic understanding of direction set by Union and State Governments will help leverage existing resources. Our work aims to shape the approach for building effective grassroots institutions eventually leading to improvement in human development indicators.
- Implementation, facilitation, data collection, analysis and documentation of project steps in 5 GPs: Context setting, GP Organisation mapping, Visioning and goal setting, Process reengineering, Setting in place accountability mechanisms and improving planning and monitoring processes, in continuous interaction with Panchayats, other institutions and citizens.
- Develop a keen understanding of challenges, strengths and struggles of individual panchayat members and office bearers based on good relationships. Assist and coach towards achievement of their goals.
- Develop understanding of legal statutes, rules and regulations of PR Act and allied laws impacting panchayats
- Participate and provide inputs for design of intervention steps and tools for initiatives in the field
- Establish good relationships and work with elected members and office bearers, especially at GP and block levels, as well as line department functionaries at different levels.
- Bachelor’s / Masters or an equivalent degree, preferably in development, social work and/or management, with 3-4 years experience of working in development field.
- Should have implemented development initiatives in any domain or sector like health, aanganwadi’s, education, gender, livelihood etc.
- Analytical and should be computer savvy. Should be able to generate reports.
- Should be familiar with English and be able to translate English to Hindi and vice versa.
- Good communication skills and experience in facilitating group work in communities.
- Experience in facilitating community and local governance processes is desirable