Dakshin Foundation – Announcement of vacancy
Programme Officer, Community and Resource Governance Programme
Number of vacancies: One
Position: Programme Officer
Programme: Communities and Resource Governance
Chief responsibilities: Implementation and management of activities of the CRG programme including its main projects. This includes supervising personnel, undertaking research, fund raising and network building activities.
Last date to apply: 25th Aug 2016
Position and responsibilities: This position demands that the candidate be a self-motivated, highly independent and enterprising individual, with a keen sensitivity to group dynamics in network building and with experience of practical project interventions. The position offers the candidate the chance to grapple with challenging socio-legal issues with prospects for long-term growth within the organisation.
The following are the responsibilities of this position:
- To execute specific activities and project-related outputs of the programme by undertaking a combination of research, field-based campaigns and advocacy on specific issues around coastal development and conservation;
- To undertake travel to coastal areas to conduct meetings, trainings and workshops on specific environmental laws and network building activities;
- To oversee the execution of existing CRG projects including supervising personnel, management of grants and administration
- To develop funding proposals for furthering research and interventions in line with the CRG programme’s goals and objectives.
- To contribute to institution-building activities, fund raising and administration at Dakshin in coordination with Dakshin’s administrative staff.
Location: The position will be based at Bangalore, but will involve travel to specific field sites in coastal states of mainland India and the union territories of Andaman Islands and Lakshadweep Islands.
Candidates must possess the following basic qualifications/skills:
- A minimum of two years of work experience demonstrating independent thinking and capable execution of projects (research or intervention based) relating to environment related issues
- A Master’s degree, preferably in the social sciences, social work, development studies, environmental studies, or law (with specialisation in environmental law or human rights law).
- A demonstrable understanding of issues related to development, conservation and environmental governance in India.
- Proven ability to work with a range of social groups and local institutions in rural settings such as grassroots conservation organisations, fishworker associations, research organisations and urban and rural advocacy groups in India.
- Proven ability to independently facilitate group meetings and demonstrate attention to detail and planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Working knowledge of at least one south Indian regional language spoken in coastal areas (preferable Tamil or Telugu) and spoken proficiency in Hindi.
Candidates with the following additional qualifications/skills will be preferred:
- Work experience and knowledge of coastal and fisheries related issues.
- Domain knowledge in the area of environmental law, or policy analysis or development studies
- Demonstrated design skills including knowledge of Adobe Indesign / Illustrator
Remuneration: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and work experience, as per the internal scales of the organisation
How to apply:
* Submit a complete CV along with a cover letter (not exceeding one page) clearly conveying why you consider yourself a suitable candidate for this position.
* Provide the names of two referees along with their contact details in the CV.
* Submit a sample of your writing (papers, articles, project reports where you are at least the first author) so we may assess your writing skills.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified; interested individuals are therefore requested to apply immediately. Short listed candidates will be invited for a personal interview in the last week of August.
Please email your application to email@example.com
Dakshin Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation based at Bangalore, India, with field offices and intervention across the coastline of India. Our mission is to inform and advocate conservation and natural resource management, while promoting and supporting sustainable livelihoods, social development and environmental justice. Please look at our website to learn about our intervention and research projects at www.dakshin.org
The Communities and Resource Governance programme executes a range of projects related to environmental justice, marine conservation and community governance in coastal sites across India. We combine research with field-based advocacy and outreach and offer a strong support platform for our staff to develop their professional capabilities and to make meaningful contributions towards social change.